AIMS OF FIRIS
- Maintain an inclusive school curriculum that does not require any student to withdraw from class on account of different religious beliefs, or none.
- Formally cease the practice of volunteer-run Religious Instruction (SRI/SRE) during school hours.
- Follow an objective, fair and balanced comparative syllabus for education about religions and beliefs.
- Treat all religious organisations who wish to use the school facilities outside of the school day with transparent and equitable policies.
FIRIS is a parent-driven grassroots effort.
- Get a quick intro to “Religion in Schools” by accessing The Facts, the FAQ, and this article in the Sydney Morning Herald detailing the Ministerial Directive which dramatically changed the way children were signed up for SRI and which led to a massive fall in participation rates in Victoria.
- Hear first hand some parent’s stories and what child evangelists say, as well as some famous quotes.
- Read the media coverage by checking the impressive Media List: Roadmap to Success, watching the Current Affair show “Evangelist ministry converts kids but refuses access” (June 2014), and listening to ABC radio Background Briefing program Parents Flee Access Ministries religion classes (August 2014).
- Check out the class materials used in SRI/SRE in public schools and read the reports from educational academic experts on their quality, at SRI Curriculum.
- For Victorians parents – learn which schools are running SRI by visiting our Victoria SRI Map.
- Subscribe to our mailing list and like our Facebook page.
The main discussion between supporters is on our Facebook Page. Read the recent discussions and remember to LIKE us!